Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Lance's big news

Ex-boy band star Lance Bass has finally confirmed long-standing rumors that he is gay. Bass told People magazine exclusively, "I'm gay," and went on to say that he is happier than he's ever been, but that he had tried to keep his sexual orientation a secret for the sake of his bandmates' careers. "I knew that I was in this popular band and I had four other guys' careers in my hand, and I knew that if I ever acted on it or even said [that I was gay], it would overpower everything," the one-time aspiring astronaut said. "I didn't know. Could that be the end of 'N Sync? So I had that weight on me of like, 'Wow, if I ever let anyone know, it's bad.' So I just never did." Bass began a relationship with Amazing Race contestant Reichen Lehmkuhl earlier this year. "The main reason I wanted to speak my mind was that [the rumors] really were starting to affect my daily life. Now it feels like it's on my terms. I'm at peace with my family, my friends, myself and God so there's really nothing else I worry about. The thing is, I'm not ashamed - that's the one thing I want to say. I don't think it's wrong, I'm not devastated going through this. I'm more liberated and happy than I've been my whole life. I'm just happy."