Thursday, April 22, 2010

Fashion Shame

I've sure everyone has been bombarded with enough eco-consumerism today, so I'm not even going to mention it beyond: Earth Day. Okay? Moving on....

I'm just going to tell you about the jeans I purchased the other day. With my lovely co-blogger, in fact, who approved the purchase. We'd gone to Uniqlo, which has tons of cute stuff for cheap, and long fitting-room lines to match. After we were done buying things (jeans for her; a faux-leather light gray skirt and short-sleeved sweatshirt for me), Tamar wanted to check out the jeans at Express. Now, I'm not too ashamed to admit that I have shopped at Express in the past, but I'm not totally unashamed, either. Eighty percent of the clothes in that store are cheap-looking, ho-y, or just plain embarrassing (Tamar to me: "Step away from the sequins"); eighteen percent is boring workwear; and two percent is what you and I might call acceptable. And usually that two percent resides in the accessories department. Annoyingly, Express has gotten more expensive over the years, but I digress.

Point being: I bought jeans. And I kinda love them!





Express Ultra Skinny Stella jeans, $79.50. They weren't even on sale! Something about the ratio of bleach to dark rinse and the level of distressing (and lack of retarded sequins or embroidery) appealed to me. And they fit me pretty righteously. All that said, I do work in a bastion of high fashion. I can't be walking around with an Express Fashion tag on my ass. And so, dear reader, I took my stitch-ripper and ripped it out. Shame!

And with that, I have to go eat some dumplings and see some rock music. Happy Thursday! (I mean Earth Day....)