Friday, April 2, 2010

Clogs: Yay or Nay?

True story: The only pair of Dr. Scholl's "original wood exercise sandal" or whatever I owned lasted me approximately four hours. That's how long it took me to hobble to work, feverishly working my toe-grip muscles to unsuccessfully attempt to keep the damn things on my feet, look casual-cute at my desk for a few hours, and finally fall out of them on W. 53rd Street at lunch. Those things are the devil in shoe form. So unassuming-looking, and yet IMPOSSIBLE to walk in. For me, anyway. I'm guessing that wooden shoes + mules = no go, even several years later, but oh how I wish I could rock some of this spring's luxed-up clogs. Hippies never looked so good, people! Here are a few of my favorite clunkers:





Swedish Hasbeens are SO NOW (hardie har har)! Four-inch heels, people. This is the Braided Sky-High model in sweet pale pink, $242 with shipping from Sweden.







Swedish Hasbeens peep-toes, $219 with shipping. Love these!







The Jeffrey Campbell "Charli" clog, $126. This is a really luxe-looking clog. And yet it's five whole inches of heel, slightly mitigated by a one-inch platform. I can only imagine myself attempting to walk down to my work cafeteria, nevermind five blocks to the subway. Danger! Danger! It's stunning in black, and I love that you can move the strap to make it a slingback.







Funkis closed-toe clogs, $149. These are handmade in Sweden AND have staples holding them together, so you know they're authentic (right?).







No. 6 clog boots were all the rage this winter, at least here in New York. Their clogs are custom-made for you and come in a slew of colors and several styles. This is a T-strap for $230.







If I were to join the cult of clogs, I might just go for Maguba's DIY option: design it yourself! I just can't figure out what color combo I would get...purple and black? Purple and yellow? Black and yellow? So many options!

















Maguba "Barcelona" clogs, $141.



If actual clogs are just too scary for you, there are a whole bunch of clog-inspired sandals out there. A few studs in the right spot, and bam! Hot semi-cloggy action.





Nine West "Eddisha" sandals, $79.







Miz Mooz "Hazel" sandals, $99.95.







And another: Kensie Girl "Taylor" sandals, $63.







Finally, these are on eBay and only applicable to size 7.5s, but, just, wow. Sigerson Morrison clogs, a Buy It Now steal at $105.99. Such a uniquely feminine (yet still cloggy) take on the style.



Happy stomping!