Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Gwen talks babies and weight

Gwen Stefani spoke to UK Elle mag about losing her baby weight, being a new mom and being married to a rock star. A few excerpts:

On her public pregnancy: "It was weird being pregnant in a fishbowl situation. Especially on days when you feel really fat and disgusting and not cute. Pregnancy was challenging in a way I didn't expect. I was on tour and I was so sick. It was like PMS times a million."

On baby weight: "I worked out with my trainer throughout my whole pregnancy until about two weeks before. I cried during my last session. I was like, 'I can't breathe, I can't do this anymore. What am I doing?' It was crazy. All my life I had to work hard to stay in shape. I've always struggled with it. I was a little chubby when I was younger, and I didn't want to be that person forever. I became a swimmer at school - but only because I wanted to be skinnier! I'm extremely vain. I like wearing cute clothes."

On getting her body back: "There aren't any tricks, it's simple math: you put this much food in, you burn that much working out. I gave myself three months - but if I didn't have an album coming out, there's no way I would have gotten back into shape in that time. I worked out with my trainer five days a week, with weekends off. I would really recommend doing weights. I'm not into yoga and pilates - they don't work for me and I don't have the patience. I'm more like a man. I like going to the gym and lifting weights or doing a little boxing."

On Kingston and Shiloh's playdate: "Yeah! They were like two little blobs when they met. Maybe they'll get married when they grow up? That'd be cute!"

On the Hollywood body ideal: "It sucks that that's what is supposed to look good and that's what everyone strives to be. There's more to life than being on a diet. Clearly, I spend time thinking about it, and it's something I've had to deal with in my life. As I get older, I try not to focus on it, it's boring, it's a waste of life. What I have learned is that whether I'm fatter or thinner, people seem not to mind, they like me either way. It's more in your own mind than anyone else's."

On being married to Gavin Rossdale: "There are negatives and positives, but for the most part, it works. He can tell me about things going well or badly and I can totally relate to that. We were very lucky to find each other and we have this ongoing crazy love affair, with its peaks and valleys, like everyone else's... Having Kingston has been the most romantic thing to have happened to us."
source