Thursday, September 20, 2007

Lauren nearly quit show over feud

Lauren Conrad admits she almost bailed on the third season of The Hills because she is so disgusted with the behavior of ex-BFF Heidi Montag and Spencer Pratt. "I actually came dangerously close to not doing season three, because I really didn't want to do the show with Heidi and Spencer," Conrad tells Seventeen's October issue. "I'm not who they are. I don't stage my own publicity. I just kind of live my life and do my job, and I don't want to be grouped with them." Conrad says MTV argued that all the characters needed to return for the show to work, saying "Heidi and Spencer were always a part of the show, and they can't all of a sudden make main characters disappear," Conrad explained. "And so we continue to follow their lives, and the producers keep letting Heidi and Spencer think there's some hope [that we'll make up]." The reality star puts much of the blame for their lost friendship on the pursuit of fame. "Some people are willing to betray years of friendship just to get a little bit of the spotlight," she says. "They just want to become famous so badly, and that's never really made sense to me. I mean, it's fun to go out and do stuff in Hollywood, but if it was gone tomorrow, I really wouldn't be disappointed."