Friday, October 20, 2006

Models too thin, says ex catwalk queen

Eighties supermodel Claudia Schiffer has joined the debate over the size (or lack thereof) of models in the last few years. "It doesn't really look good anymore," Schiffer says of the skin-and-bones look on most catwalks. "Fashion looks good on thin models, but when you look at today's models you can not help but think there is something wrong. They are way too thin. It is only bones that stick out... Models have always been thin. But today, they are even thinner, which is unbelievable." A cover girl more than 550 times, Schiffer says she was considered heavy when she first broke into the industry. "I was one of the fattest when I started," she says. Schiffer is now a mother of two, and says since having children, she tries to keep her weight at a healthy level. "When media started writing that I looked too thin and ill, I went to the doctor. He said I was healthy," she said. "Ever since I started having children, I can eat whatever I want. I eat chocolate almost every day and drink whole milk so that I don't lose any more." Officials in Madrid created controversy recently when they banned models below a certain weight from participating in runway shows.