Saturday, February 21, 2009

Smell This, Smell Good: Badgley Mischka Couture

Earlier this week I had the exciting and distinct honor of attending the launch of the new Badgley Mischka Couture fragrance at the Elizabeth Arden Red Door Spa. And as much as it was tempting to go get some kind, ANY kind of spa treatment as I winded my way deep within the bowels of the spa (I've never had anything done there, and now it's on my list of places to go/stuff to have done!) back to the spa cafe where the event was held, it was well worth the tempting trip because who was in attendance, aside from a few of my favorite beauty bloggers? Mark Badgley and James Mischka themselves, who look like they were born to create fine things, which they do, which is why they've been creating couture gowns for the past 20 years. Seriously, they're like old-school-meets-now glam, as in not all orangey-mess fake glow, but just like serenely elegant, with an authentic air of kindness. Accordingly, their new fragrance is a refined, sophisticated scent that exudeds old Hollywood glamour (not that I was there or anything).

Anyway, the fragrance is a sensual, musky blend of plum, blackberry and pear, and while there's some jasmine and gardenia florals in there, the dark fruits keep this from being too pungently sweet and just subtle enough. It's lightly rich, luxe and a perfect fragrance for an evening event. Badgley Mischka are outfitting one of the Best Actress nominees at the Oscars this Sunday (my money's on Anne Hathaway), so it's sorta what I'd imagine the Oscars to smell like, if the Oscars had a smell, you know? Maybe I'll wear it to my Oscar party? I digress. One of the other things I love about Bagdley Mischka Couture -- the gilded golden bottle inspired by vintage crystal barware.

And so, Bingers, definitely try out Badgley Mischka Couture if you're...

a.) Ready to retire your Malibu Musk (finally!)
b.) Going to the Oscars! (Thanks for reading FashionBinge, Anne Hathaway!)
c.) Ready for a grown-up girl (or dare I say... wedding?) fragrance!

Badgley Mischka Couture is $65.00 for 1.7 EDP, $90 for 3.4 EDP, and $48 for the cool portable elixir gel, all at Nordstrom.

(Photo of Mark Badgley and James Mischka via Elle)