Friday, September 4, 2009

Oh Yes I Most Certainly Did: High-Heeled Doc Martens. Thanks, Stacy London!

Here's the story of how I endured effing BRUTAL foot pain, Tweeted with Stacy London (!!!), and re-fell-in-love with Doc Martens this week... Back in Januaire I wrote about some cherry-red high-heeled Doc Martens. Recently I stumbled upon them again, if you will, and impulsively bought them online. (Impulsively, of course. How else do you buy cherry-red Docs?) I then had the THRILL OF MY LITTLE LIFE when I Tweeted with STACY LONDON on my work Twitter account, and she TWEETED ME BACK, and a discussion about the cherry Docs ENSUED!

Stacy said: @MTVBuzzworthy Wood heeled Docs??? Perhaps something less heavy?

I Tweeted something about how I promised I'd return them if they were a total fright, and if they looked too Ronald McDonaldy, they'd go back faster than you can say McRib.

Stacy said: @MTVBuzzworthy They ARE a total fright and Ronald McDonald is NOT a fashion icon. Send. Them. Back.

I Tweeted back something pouty along the lines of "but, but, but..."

@MTVBuzzworthy No pouting. THIS is THE season for awesome boots!


Anyway, I thought about it, and they DID seem like they had a really good chance of being Ronaldy. So I COMPROMISED (with Stacy and myself) and got them in black. And GUESS WHAT! THEY FUCKING RULE!

($130, Doc Martens, DMStoreusa.com)
I must say though, the first 10 minutes I had these on, these fuckers were SO painful (breaking in pointe shoes?) I thought I was gonna end up in the foot pain ward of the ER. What a pussy move. And I refused to let that happen, despite the fact that one of my favorite lines from Romy & Michelle's High School Reunion was quickly becoming my reality. I hobbled into the CVS down the street and busted into some Dr. Scholl's gooey whatevs pads which saved me from the aforementioned indignity. That, the realization I wasn't dying, and a little patience, and I rejoined the land of the living.

The Darcie Docs are a really fun, playful, unexpected twist on traditional Docs, but they don't veer too far from the true roots of Doc boots. They're a step up from the traditional black Doc Marten boots I bought back in eighth grade (at the time, they were so expensive that I saved for months, and my mom chipped in the rest and told me I'd better wear them through college -- I only got rid of them last year... and I've been out of college a while). They're amplified, yet more mature nostalgia, and they were worth the pain.